Custom Search
Subscribe to livefrommontreal by Email

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Would PETA Please Just Fuck Off?

Well, PETA is continuing its run on my list of organizations that I want to punch right in the diaphragm. Generally I ignore them, my personal opinion on meat being that I will stop eating cows when they stop being delicious. 
But PETA has decided to continue their run of tasteless, offensive advertising with an ad campaign comparing the brutal murder and beheading of Tim Mclean on a Greyhound bus to eating meat. Now, with most organizations, I'd think that this sort of ad was a fluke from a marketing agency to a young, ambitious advertising person. However, PETA has pulled this sort of trick before. Remember, lets, the Pickton murder trial in British Columbia. You know, the one where the accused murdered and dismembered anywhere from 25-50 prostitutes? And remember how it was rumoured that he mixed in some human remains with pork that he sold to friends? Well PETA had an ad about that too, a young woman dressed like a prostitute, and the words "I'm not food either". This is an organization that bills itself on offensive shock tactics. Let's have a little fucking respect for the dead, shall we? Don't try and tack on your personal moral agenda onto a tragedy that does not have anything to do with you. Is PETA's message really so out of touch with society that they have to resort to these leeching tactics to get attention? It is a sign of a dying message, or at least a dying messenger, when you have to resort to shock tactics and fear-mongering. And those are words I usually reserve for the GOP. Let's go back to having Pamela Anderson pose nude. Actually, having just googled her, lets not.
This ad is one of the few things that actually made me angry in recent memory. While I think that us humans are basically poorly insulated monkeys, there are some things that many animals that are not the dominant species on this planet can do that apparently PETA can't. It's called mourning the dead. I will not have respect for any organization that makes light of someone's murder and dismemberment in order to claim moral superiority over others.
And how about being demeaning to women, PETA? While I'm all for female nudity, can you really claim moral superiority over us carnivorous neanderthals when your site seems to be a collection of famous, attractive women posing nude, and videos of your supporters having whipped-cream wrestling matches with playboy bunnies? I have a challenge for you PETA, get your message out in a way that is respectful to murder victims, and doesn't use women as sex objects.
Now I'm going to call PETA hypocrites, because I can.
If anyone related to their policies or advertising has ever: killed a mosquito, gotten rid of an ant infestation, swatted at an irritating fly, or used antibacterial soap; they are hypocrites. Why? Because what makes vertebrates better than invertebrates? If it is a sin to eat a cow, why should insects, bacterium, or viruses be singled (or in this case, tripled) out for bad treatment?
While I do enjoy eating meat, I do think that animals should be treated well. Until they are slaughtered to be eaten. But PETA seems to have become more concerned with being a media whore than actually getting anything accomplished. They demonize people who have the diet that their species evolved to have. We have meat eating teeth as well as veggie-teeth. Not to mention an intestinal system that is not made to handle lots of plants.
Now, let me be clear, I have no problem with people who want to be vegetarians or vegans. Just like I have no problem with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindi, etc. As long as they don't try and pull some "holier than thou" bullshit on me. So I have an idea, how about a tailgate party right in front of some PETA offices, have some steaks, hot dogs, the works. Anyone can come. BBQ all day. So they can smell all the delicious flesh cooking. Think of it as revenge for putting booths with video of slaughterhouses next to hot dog stands (made me hungry).


I know this is kind of rambling. I'll fix it when it's not 1am.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Your blog is great!!! I called PETA and demanded an explanation and a chance to leave a message, I had to call them back FIVE times in a row before they relented and let me speak my mind.

PETA = Unethical treatment of victims of violent crimes

Patrick said...

Great to hear Brenda!
Thanks for the support, and good job telling PETA what you think, that organization has gotten a free pass for far too long.

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com