As someone who plans on voting, and who likes to know what I'm voting for, I thought I'd look around and see what I can find out about the various parties and their positions on certain issues. Of course, the websites that the political parties run are pretty much bullshit because they want to win, so I thought I'd go through the media. Boy was I, disappointed.
Take the CBC's website as an example. No mention of the election on the front page of the site. In the news section? The first visible item is a history of campaign gaffes. Only one was from this campaign. Next you have to scroll past the "Things that go Pop! Sex in the City: The Teenage Years" link and picture to get to a "Canada Votes" banner. The banner is noticeably smaller and less visible than the E-Bay add next to it. The three showcase election stories today? A biased opinion on the election promises of the smallest national party. Another section on campaign gaffes, and finally, a quiz.
This is the sort of content that our "national broadcaster" gives us about our own federal election. At least the Americans get interesting substance-less crap. How is a member of the public (A.K.A'd as voters) supposed to make an informed opinion on election day if this is the junk that gets fed to them?
Now, I took into account that the CBC might just be incompetent, so I looked at some other sites too.
Next site: CTV
Unlike the CBC's site, on this one the first election related is right near the top. On the right side. In a box about the size of the top joints of both my thumbs next to each other. It's an opinion poll. About the American election. The next item is right below it, in a slightly smaller box. This box raises a promising question: what is the most underreported campaign issue? My mouse pointer quivers in anticipation for what this link might unveil. Perhaps a few paragraphs on some important, but unglamorous issue? Foolish of me, I know, because what I should have been expecting is a video sent in by a grade 9 class. Finally I find the link to their special election centre page. Instantly there are 3 things on the page vying for the eye's attention. First, right at the top is a banner ad for the new season of Criminal minds. That add leads nicely into the box add below it and to the right that is showcasing CTV's online video player. I never have to worry about missing "Gossip Girls" again! The third thing that stands out is a picture (with no link to a story) of Stephen Harper autographing a sign.
Right, CityTV up next.
Nothing on the front page, but they don't really bill themselves as a full news service, so I'll click over to the News tab. Finally! The very first news item is about the election! Once again, I click. And find myself reading an article about an opinion poll. No help there, so I go back to the news page. I'm bombarded by adds for "Breakfast Television", or "BTV" as they call it now. God damn those morning hosts have creepy, other-worldly smiles. Those empty stares, and chipper attitudes so early in the day, maybe it's because I don't smile before 2pm as a matter of principle, but something about those hosts just creeps me out. Anyways, the rest of the news site has absolutely zilch of value when it comes to the election. Well, not quite, there is an add reminding us to vote, and it links to election.ca which tells you how to vote and the such, which is nice, but it isn't a source for information about the parties.
Next was the National Post, which was refreshing at first because there was a big "ELECTION 2008" banner right under the headline story. There were, however, only 2 stories under that banner. One was telling us that the Liberal leader says the Conservative leader is a liar (not so directly, but that was the gist of it) and then goes into talking about opinion polls. Next story was just flat out about an opinion poll.
Don't journalists (also known as REPORTERS) get paid to give us information? Shouldn't they be informing the electorate? You know, so come election day we actually have a chance of voting for someone who shares our views? But no, the Canadian news media has decided to give us unsubstantial crap about opinion polls. The run opinion pieces, they tell us who the pollsters expect to win, but when push comes to shove, they never really tell us what we are voting for when we put a mark next to a candidate's name.
No comments:
Post a Comment