Custom Search
Subscribe to livefrommontreal by Email

Saturday, July 5, 2008

F#ck Bell Canada 2...The Beer Analogy.

Well, it seems I'm still getting some flak for my video complaining about my ISP, Bell Canada.
Frankly, it bothers me a little when the default attitude is "go call tech support" or "pay for more bandwidth".
I'll pay for more bandwidth if they give me what I pay for now and I still need more. I'm not paying extra just to get what I'm supposed to at this price point.
And there is no technical problem, Bell decided to slow my internet down. Besides, consumers shouldn't have to spend hours on the phone to get services that they've already paid for.
Think of it like this; you go to the store, grab a 12 pack of beer, and bring it up to the counter. You pay for it, take it home, and drink 2. The next day someone from the store shows up and takes back 6 of the beers.
You paid for 12 beers, but only get 6.
I pay for 3mbps, and rarely get 10% of that.
I have never passed my 60GB cap.
Bell never informed me that it was crippling my internet.
Bell continues to offer services with ever higher bandwidths (up to 18mbps), as well as opening an online video store at the same time that it is crippling my relatively low-end connection and claiming that it doesn't have any bandwidth to spare.
Bullshit.
UPDATE: Google has decided that Bell's throttling violates Canada's telecommunications laws, and has filed a complaint with the CRTC. Hopefully Google gets somewhere on this one, because Bell and the other big Canadian ISP's (Rogers, Telus) have pretty much said that they are playing "Fuck the Consumer" on this one.
If Canadian ISP's were prison, we'd all be reaching for the soap.

No comments:

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com