Custom Search
Subscribe to livefrommontreal by Email

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Viacom, Go Fuck Yourself

Well, usually I don't get too concerned when one company sues another, but Viacom's suit against Google/YouTube is starting to creep me out. Google has now been ordered by a judge to turn over to Viacom ALL its YouTube user data. Viacom wants to use the data to prove that copyrighted videos are viewed more than user-created videos. However, Google doesn't have to turn over just a list of what gets viewed how many times, they have to turn over over 4TB (yes, TERABITES) of user data. Viacom gets to see who viewed what, under what user names, and even under what IP address for those anonymous viewers.
I think I've made it pretty clear what I think is happening to privacy rights these days, but this is even more disgusting than many things I've seen recently. YouTube users from all over the world are having their IP addresses and viewing habits sent to a 3rd party, without their, or Google/YouTube's consent.
EDIT: It turns out that it is actually 12TB of data being given to Viacom, not a measly 4TB.
Kind of makes me wonder if Viacom is going to start trying to sue people who watched copyrighted material on YouTube for copyright violation. Hopefully Google will appeal this decision. This judge seems to be a total lunatic.

No comments:

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com